Dropped and falling objects hazards
Dropped and falling object hazards are items that fall or have the potential to fall from height. Fixtures (lights, CCTV cameras, speakers etc.), handheld devices, unsecured equipment, tools, consumables and structural components are all recognised hazards.
A wide range of factors can contribute to dropped and falling objects:
- Vibration from operating equipment, blasting, drilling and seismic activities
- Corrosion from mineralised water and salt spray
- Inadequate installation and maintenance
- Dynamic movement of equipment, infrastructure and strata
- Impact by mobile and field equipment
- Human error
- Environmental factors such as wind and gravity
- Unsecured tools and equipment used at height
Dropped and falling objects can result in fatalities or serious disabling injuries of personnel in or near the impact zone, as well as damage to critical equipment, with negative consequences.