Dropped objects hazards
A dropped object is any item or object that falls or has the potential to fall from height. Fixtures (lights, CCTV cameras, speakers etc), handheld devices, unsecured tools, loose items and structural components are all recognised hazards.
For these items, a wide range of factors can contribute to dropped objects:
- Vibration from drilling activities & operating equipment
- Internal & external corrosion
- Dynamic movement of operating equipment
- Environmental factors such as wind & gravity
- Inadequate installation & maintenance
- Wear and fatigue
- Unsecured tools & equipment used at height
- Poor housekeeping & human error
Dropped objects can result in serious injury or death of personnel in or near the impact zone, as well as, damage to critical equipment with negative consequences.
For more information about dropped objects hazards and Industry initiatives please visit www.dropsonline.org.